Monday 21 January 2013

Evaluation

For this project I wanted to create two opposing looks for catwalk and editorial. After researching into catwalk make up and hair I felt I wanted the main focus on the hair. I felt it was important to consider the look as a whole 360 image as for catwalk everything is seen, I wanted to create an engaging visual on the back and front of the look but also keeping it simplistic to not over power the styling.
I used the bright red on the face inspired from the African tribe matses and also the Native American tribes who use red to express danger and war, I feel this vibrant colour will really make my design project against my models skin tone. I also wanted to integrate the red into the hair used a style from my previous experiments of weaving crepe hair into braids, I chose to use a more natural wool to weave into the hair for my final design as it made it look earthy and authentic. the hair flowed into the red blush of the face to give it a continual flow which is what I wanted for my catwalk look as it will be viewed from all angles, I wanted the hair and make up to have fluidity and a natural growth to it.
Overall I was extremely happy with my final look. The only improvements I feel I could of made was to use more vibrant feathers in the hair as the black feathers got lost against the black hair, however I didn't want to go over board. I also feel I should have added beads into the length of the hair as I planned however on the day I felt this made the look to busy for catwalks simplistic beauty.

For my editorial design I wanted to capture the organic and rich vibrancy of the tribal culture, I wasn't as cautious as I was with my catwalk look, as I wanted more of an impact. After looking into African tribes and influences from other editorials I decided to use lavish fabrics and luxurious mediums like gold leaf to the face, taking the mud and paint from tribal culture and bringing it to high fashion, making it more sumptuous but still applying it in a naturally hasty way. The gold was the main focus on this design along with this I wanted to capture the angles and shapes of my models face with inspiration from illamasquas interpretation of tribal and from tribes who highlight features with scarification.
The hair was also a big part of this design, although in the day adjustment has to be made as I felt not enough material was added I used stuffing covered in material to add to the hair which I had experimented with before in structure to the hair. Inspired by Philip Tracy's amazing hats I wanted the same strong image for my hair. If I could improve on this look I think I would of added and extended the gold leaf to the body as I felt I negated the body make up because I was considering my styling too much. I was particular and attentive with my styling, I hand made my own necklace for the shoot as I knew what outcome I wanted from it and felt making it would achieve the best look for this. I also feel I could of gone more on the hair making it bigger to the point of obscene similar to Seema Chopras work.
Largely I am very satisfied with my outcome and feel it captures the tribal culture while bringing it to the 21st century. 

No comments:

Post a Comment